Wednesday 4 September 2013

Nuchal Nerves



We ended up having our scan done by a lead consultant at the hospital, due to the twin thing but it threw me for a few minutes since I was expecting just to go to the ultrasound dept and have it done there. I do recall the ultrasound tech last pregnancy (which began as twins but losing one around 9 weeks) being unsure of what to do with regards to the blood test and scan or just the scan alone and having to seek advice from the consultant so I assume they simply just cut out that and have the experts do the whole thing instead.

It was a nice surprise to have the same consultant as when I had my first surrogate baby and he did remember me, which given how many ladies he sees, was good.

Scan went well, he did however seem to pull a lot of faces during it which panicked one of my IPs and made me a bit nervous. He said the scan looked fine and all in line with expectations but without the blood test, they can't say for sure and so I had that taken. We will either get a phone call in the next couple of days if it throws up high risk or a letter in the post within a week if it's not so we sit tight and keep everything crossed - which seems to be the pattern of this pregnancy so far!

Baby looked so much bigger than even 2 weeks ago and it was lovely to see it happy and snug in there. It was noted that my placenta was low, I know that that can be problematic but at this early stage there's no need to worry about it and we'll just see how it goes at my 20 week scan and take it from there if no change. He didn't say it was completely covering my cervix or even partially, just noted on the report that it was low.

The consultant surprised me by asking me after the scan if I was thinking 'of doing this again?' I stuttered that I wasn't sure, hadn't thought past this baby and that I would see and he gave me a small spiel about considering the risks, with having more than 5 babies and my increasing age. These were (are?) things I have thought about of course, which I told him - I thought about them when I was ttc my last surrogate baby infact, and I've certainly made no decisions one way or another and I appreciate he has to be the professional here and warn me but it felt a bit inappropriate at a scan appt, where we were anxious enough, to bring that up. Still, duly noted.

Sickness still bothering me daily but I continue to just get on with it and it isn't impacting much on my daily life so that's all good. My children went back to school (their new school, eek!) this week so that's given me some opportunity to slow down and rest during the day, especially as I am suffering again from insomnia which is driving me nuts.

We have our next midwife appt and consultant appt at the end of September so all will be pretty quiet between now and then, which I am certainly not complaining about!

No comments:

Post a Comment